PayScale, a company that compiles information on employee salary data, released an index of how many times private-sector wages have changed since 2006.
In the first quarter of 2012, wages rose above the level where they peaked in the fourth quarter of 2008.
The Business Insider compiled a list of the top 10 cities with the biggest wage increases in the last year.
Here are the top 10 cities, followed by the percent of quarterly change.
10. Baltimore, Md., 1.3 percent increase
9. San Diego, Calif., 0.4 percent increase
8. Philadelphia, Pa., 0.4 percent increase
7. Boston, Mass., 0.4 percent increase
6. New York, N.Y., 0.8 percent increase
5. Dallas, Texas, 0.8 percent increase
4. Tampa, Fla., 0.9 percent increase
3. Riverside, Calif., 1.0 percent increase
2. Seattle, Wash., 1.3 percent increase
1. Houston, Texas, 1.4 percent increase